Petition: Hands OFF IRAN!!!
Deeply concerned and distressed, we raise our voices against the increasing tensions in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman, and express our opposition to war against Iran and the extensive propaganda aimed at justifying it.
Since the September 11 catastrophe, the neocons in control of the United States Government, in pursuit of their strategy for total world domination, have expanded the power and military presence of the United States in the regions that are critical to securing their domineering position. They have been attacking and invading countries that have been resisting their strategic plans; now targeting Iran after having caused extensive destruction in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria.
The Trump administration has unilaterally withdrawn from Iran Nuclear Deal in violation of UN Resolution 2231, and has imposed unprecedented sanctions again Iran. In doing so, the United States has created numerous crises for the global community and has damaged the economic interests of many other countries.
War against Iran, especially in the form of economic sanctions, has been going on for a long time, victimizing the most vulnerable segments of the country’s population every day. Any military action against Iran by the United States and its allies will not only lead to a disaster for the people of Iran but will immerse to whole Middle East in a regional war. Such a war could also lead to a global economic crisis and would threaten the global peace and security.
The European Union has considered the Iran Nuclear Deal as one of its foreign policy successes and a suitable temple for reducing tensions and preventing the proliferation of nuclear weapons around the world. However, the war-mongering faction in the US Government is now deliberately instigating the European Union, under the guise of protecting the Strait of Hormuz waterways, to dispatch its military forces to the Persian Gulf and thus become an active partner in the war against Iran.
We call upon all peace- and freedom-loving citizens of the world, particularly the citizens of the United States and the European Union, to demand from their governments to:
1. Recognize Iran’s right to national sovereignty and territorial integrity in accordance with the United Nation’s Charter and other international laws. Only the Iranian people have the right to choose their own government and political leaders.
2. Not remain silent about repeated violation of international law by the United States, which the whole world is witnessing with regard to direct and extraterritorial sanctions against Iran, and prevent the continuation of the process that is discrediting international institutions and threatening the global peace.
3. Officially and promptly announce that they will not start a war against Iran under any circumstances, and that they would refrain from taking any military, financial, logistical and informational steps aimed at instigating a war with Iran.
4. Refrain from dispatching their navy ships, sending weapons and causing tensions in the region.
5. Take all necessary steps to lift economic sanctions against Iran.
6. Actively support the ongoing negotiations in New York, commenced in November 2018, to establish a region free of weapons of mass destruction in the Middle and Near East.
In addition, we call upon the Secretary General of the United Nations to use every means at his disposal within the framework of the UN Charter to put an end to the tensions, prevent war, and ascertain that the security of the Persian Gulf and Sea of Oman waterways is guaranteed on the basis of common cooperation of the area’s governments.
We the undersigned invite all supporters of peace and people’s national right to sovereignty and territorial integrity to join us in this effort by signing the “Hands Off Iran” petition in this site.
- Ervand Arbaramian, Professor Emeritus, City University of New York (USA)
- Bahman Azad, Executive Secretary, U.S. Peace Council (USA)
- Ajamu Baraka, National Organizer, Black Alliance for Peace (USA)
- Hamid Beheschti, journalist (Germany)
- Medea Benjamin, Founder, CODEPINK (USA)
- Volker Bräutigam, journalist (Germany)
- Gerry Condon, President, Veterans For Peace (USA)
- Mostafa Danesh, Journalist, writer and war reporter (USA)
- Elias Davidsson, composer and writer (Germany)
- Anneliese Fikentscher, chair of the Federal Association of Workers’ Photography (Germany)
- Sara Flounders, Co-Coordinator, International Action Center (USA)
- Margaret Flowers, Co-Coordinator, Popular Resistance (USA)
- Bruce K. Gagnon, Secretary/Coordinator, Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space (USA)
- Daniele Ganser, Director of the Swiss Institute for Peace and Energy Research (Switzerland)
- Wolf Gauer, filmmaker and journalist (Brazil)
- Joachim Guilliard, journalist and peace activist (Germany)
- Mohammad Haghighat, political activist (Germany)
- Klaus Hartmann, federal chairman of the German Freethinkers Association (Germany)
- Ardeshir Jamneshan, political activist (Germany)
- Wolfgang Jung, publisher of LUFTPOST (Germany)
- Sima Kassaie-Van Ooyen, journalist and peace activist (Germany)
- Peter Klemm, journalist and peace activist (Germany)
- Patrik Köbele, chairman of the German Communist Party (DKP) (Germany)
- Peter Koenig, economist and geopolitical analyst (Switzerland)
- Joe Lombardo, Co-Coordinator, United National Antiwar Coalition (USA)
- Alfred Marder, President, U.S. Peace Council (USA)
- Mohsen Massarrat, Professor Emeritus, University of Osnabruck; member of the Academic Council of Attac and IPPNW in Germany; Researcher in the areas of international political Economic, oil and energy, and the Middle East (Germany)
- Morteza Mohit, writer and political analyst (USA)
- Amir Mortasawi, journalist and peace activist (Germany)
- Andreas Neumann, editors of the Neue Rheinische Zeitung (NRhZ) (Germany)
- Norman Paech, Emeritus Professor of Political Science and Public Law (Germany)
- Muhammad Sahimi, NIOC Chair in Petroleum Engineering and Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, USC (USA)
- Veronika Thomas-Ohst, chair of Euregioprojekt-Frieden e.V. (Germany)
- Willy Wahl, publisher of Seniora.org (Switzerland)
- Jens Wernicke, publisher of the online magazine Rubikon (Germany)
- Mohammad Zahedi, political activist (France)
- Kevin Zeese, Co-Coordinator, Popular Resistance (USA)