Look at These Issues Before You Vote (New York State)! Carolyn Maloney Resembles a Political Prostitute.
New York deserves bold, progressive, leadership.
People often ask me how I’m different from our 25-year Incumbent….
First off, I believe we desperately need to reform our democracy to make our government more representative of the actual will of the people.
Therefore, unlike the Congresswoman, I refuse to take corporate PAC money from the very companies I would regulate. I also think competition is not only healthy for democracy, it’s necessary to ensure new voices and new ideas are heard. That’s why I support term limits, automatic voter registration, and am active in the fight to end gerrymandering and voter suppressionacross the country. Incumbency protection has no place in my agenda.
Besides bringing my experience as a lawyer and ethics lecturer into government, below is a list of laws that Representative Maloney voted for, that I strongly oppose.
1. Rep. Maloney voted AGAINST life saving vaccines proven by science to work and said that there are “concerns surrounding vaccine safety.”—
- Sponsored nine different anti-vaccination bills over more than a decade
- Only Democrat to sponsor anti-vaccine bills after 2013
- Invited fringe anti-vaccine, anti-science authors to congressional briefings
- Attacked doctors who advocated for vaccinations
- Hosted anti-science rallies with Jenny McCarthy
- Attacked the CDC scientist in congressional hearings on vaccines
- Compared the health risks of vaccines to smoking cigarettes
(Sources: CSPAN, Huffington Post, Rep. Maloney Official Statement, House Hearing Nov 29, 2012, 108th Congress (2003-2004) H.R.4169; 109th Congress (2005-2006) H.R.881; 110th Congress (2007-2008) H.R.881; 111th Congress (2009-2010) H.R.2617; 109th Congress (2005-2006) H.R.5887; 110th Congress (2007-2008) H.R.1973; 111th Congress (2009-2010) H.R.2618; 113th Congress (2013-2014) H.R.1757; 114th Congress (2015-2016) H.R.1636)
2. Rep. Maloney voted AGAINST Wall Street regulation and Told Wall Street bankers that “If you see a regulation that is unfair, let us know and maybe we can work together.”—
- Gave banks a “license to lie” when they mislead investors
- Repealed Glass-Steagall banking regulations passed after the 1929 Crash
- Cut funding to the SEC
- Bailed out banks after they destroyed the economy
- Let banks, insurance companies, and credit rating agencies conceal when data gets hacked
3. Rep. Maloney voted FOR mass incarceration laws that Bill Clinton has admitted, “made the problem worse.”—
- Three-strikes mandatory life sentences, including for drug charges
- Longer prison terms
- $10 billion for new prisons
- Expanding the death penalty
- Making it harder for people to appeal convictions
- Making it harder to free people who are wrongly imprisoned
4. Rep. Maloney voted FOR anti-immigrant and anti-refugee laws that Human Rights Watch said “subjected hundreds of thousands of people to arbitrary detention, fast-track deportations and family separation.”—
- Creating fast-track deportation
- Stripped immigrants of their right to have deportation reviewed by a judge
- Mandatory detention of immigrants that breaks up families
- Making it easier to detain and deport both legal and undocumented immigrants
- Making it harder for refugees to apply for asylum
5. Rep. Maloney voted FOR more war, less diplomacy, and the surveillance state, and was “an outspoken advocate of the war who backed the Iraq resolution” —
- Voted for the Iraq War
- Voted to fund George W. Bush’s programs in Iraq
- Voted for the PATRIOT Act
- Voted against Obama’s nuclear peace deal with Iran
- Voted to extend mass surveillance and NSA spying